Sunday, March 15, 2015

Day 2: Project Las Americas

After a much needed good night's rest, we were ready to start our first day of service this morning!  We began by working with Project Las Americas and spending the morning and afternoon with some amazing, fun-loving, and always-smiling girls!  Project Las Americas gives the girls an opportunity and safe location to play all kinds of sports, learn how to play the drums and dance, and just have fun.  I started off playing soccer (hace calor!) and jumping rope with the girls.  They were so friendly, welcoming, and energetic- the language barrier did not stop me from making some new friends!  I was able to talk to one girl for a while and she told me that she wanted to be a doctor when she grows up, but she wasn't sure what type and went on to list 5 different possible careers.  Although I only know basic Spanish and she only knew basic English, we were able to communicate and understand each other (sometimes it took a few tries and the help of some friends though!) and talk about our favorite colors, where I'm from, how I like the DR, favorite sports, etc.  I went on to dance, have my hair braided in a crazy way, play with the water balloons, and and compete in sac races with the girls, which was harder than it looks but all so much fun!!  The whole day the girls were smiling and laughing, and it was really inspiring to see and hear how joyful and hopeful they were! It is so great that Project Las Americas exists for these girls to help them grow into beautiful women.  It also made me thankful for all of the opportunities that my parents have given me to learn and grow into who I am today! I can't wait for tomorrow to see what the DR holds next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment