Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday 16, 2015

Hello World, It is Oluwaseyi Ogundana here. This trip to the Dominican Republic has been emotional and a great learning experience. Coming here was a testimony on it's own, but I will leave that for another day. Today, March 16, 2015, was a humbling experience. I actually spent the first ten years of my life in a small town in Nigeria. The lifestyle here in the Dominican Republic reminds me so much of my early life. Memories that I have buried over the years. I find myself telling anyone who is willing to hear about how strikingly similar the environment in DR is close to that of my nation of birth. Volunteering with DREAM project today was a great experience. They have me thinking of possible solutions to the health problems here in the DR. Seeing the little girl cry out of pain from the nail really resonated with me. I don't think I can forget her screams and agony, I will take that memory with me back to the United States so I can think of a way to help supply communities with health products to handle situations like that of the girl. I am so scared that she will end of with an infection from that nail injury. I really want to believe otherwise, but in this part of the world this is the expected result.
Another memory from today, was learning about the family dynamic in this community. I saw a lot of present fathers. This really resonated with me because when there are no family complications, it is easier for community members to come together-they are probably living around family members. Fathers and Mothers played with the kids, I saw a grandmother drag her grandson back into the house  (My guess is maybe for lunch or to complete an assignment). This is the kind of community I was used to as a kid. One willing to help one another. The Dominican People are happy and loving. And I am glad that solutions can be created without the complications of family and community issues. I would really like to commend the work of DREAM. They are changing lives daily and I hope they are continued to be funded so they can do more. GO [DR]EAM team!

No comments:

Post a Comment