Sunday, March 15, 2015

Day 2: Project Las Americas

Yay for Day 2!
 We woke up early after our 17 hour traveling day, ready to have some fun working with Project Las Americas. We got to spend the day with amazing, happy young girls who gladly welcomed us. I got to play soccer, play the drums, jump rope, be part of a sack race, and even got to play with water balloons with these girls. I also got to talk to many of these sweet 12-14 year olds and personally got to know them. I got my hair braided from this very kind 13 year old while I held the cutest 4 month old baby! (getting my hair done and cute babies, does it get any better?) I had such a great time with these girls. Yaritza, who likes to be called "Chiky", is a 13 year old girl who I met this morning. She was the happiest, most outgoing, 13 year old I have met. She told me to record her while she played the drums: 

After our great day spending time with these young girls, we got to travel to a rural neighborhood that is located off of a major highway. This community is a very small community and many of the homes here are in poor condition. Today we got to be part of the demolition of a home that was in very bad conditions, home to a very sweet lady. We got to work together to take out her few items she owns, then we got to watch the house get demolished:



From a intense soccer game to meeting the sweetest girls, today has been great fun.
Today was also an eyeopening day, walking through some of the homes in the rural community we visited today, really allowed me to appreciate what I have and motivated me help those in need whenever possible. Seeing these happy families and children who don't have much makes me realize just how one does not need much to be happy, one only needs the love of others and a positive outlook on life. 

-Iliana

Ps: I also got to watch a donkey run away from its owner today. 
  




No comments:

Post a Comment