Friday, March 20, 2015

Friday March 21, 2015
Kendra Pryor

      To sum it up, this week has been amazing. I would say that this Alternative Break has been one of the most important experiences of my life. Not only was I able to meet so many inspirational people, including those in my group and the people we met here in the Dominican Republic.  Each of my group members is very unique and passionate, and I would like to get to know each of them better, because I know they each have so much insight into life.  Seyi and Yari made us laugh and lifted our spirits, Sydney taught us to be kind, Dani taught us how to hope, Judy showed us how to think critically, Illiana broke the language barrier, and every member of the group contributed in countless ways.  The people we met here, their experiences, and their words have also changed my mentality and outlook on life.
     Throughout the week, we learned about women's roles in Dominican culture through discussions with the girls from New Horizons as well as interactions with women and girls from various schools, Las Hermanitas, La Colorada, and Barrio Blanco.  The girls of New Horizons are working hard by going to college and mentoring Las Hermanitas. The girls of La Colorada and Barrio Blanco are all working towards improving their communities.
     One girl named Wyeliza truly inspired me. I do not know her whole life story, but her actions motivated and inspired me. Although she acted very humbly, she is an important asset to her community of Barrio Blanco. Wyeliza told me that she was only 16 years old, however the whole week I though she was much older because of her composure and maturity.  She was the teacher for the Young Stars afternoon group, and she assisted the kids practicing reading, playing games, and putting on a play with us volunteers on Thursday.  She was also an unpaid volunteer. All week we have been told that girls grow up at a young age in the Dominican Republic, and it usually has a negative connotation such as the fact that they get married early and have children young.  However, Wyeliza showed that growing up young also has positive aspects. She took initiative in her community to improve the lives of the children, many of whom are only a few years younger than her. She always did so with a positive and joyful attitude, and I admired that so much. I helped her paint her bookshelf on Thursday, and I could tell she was excited to have one of her own just like the kids. Seeing the transformation of the bookshelves from planks of wood, to forms of bookshelves, to decorated representations of learning in people's lives is wonderful. Wyeliza also wanted to enhance her personal education through reading.  We carried the bookshelf to her house placed it in the living room. I'm happy that now she has a beautifully decorated symbol of education that she created herself.  If Wyeliza has the drive to improve her community directly, I know that I can do the same at home.
     When I go back to Maryland, I will think of the values Wyeliza taught me without even knowing it: take initiative, express maturity in a positive way despite circumstances, and spread happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment