Monday, March 16, 2015

Day 3 - DREAM Project

So far I'm really enjoying this trip. It's opening my eyes and helping me gain perspective. Today we worked with the DREAM Project, which is my favorite so far. Although I really enjoyed both, today's project impacted me more. To be honest when we first started by picking up trash, I was upset because I didn't feel like I was really getting involved the way I wanted to. It wasn't until I saw young boys from Barrio Blanco pitching in with us to clean up. That just showed me they wanted to make a difference in their community too. It was great to see them willing to help us, even though we are strangers to them. It was then when I realized what and who I'm doing this for. It truly broke my heart to see the conditions they have no choice but to live in. Another favorite moment of today was when a five-year-old boy gave me a piece of his cookie. Here is this little boy, who has close to nothing, willing to share with a stranger. That moment put everything in perspective for me because that showed that even though someone may not have much, they can still show love to others. I loved working in Barrio Blanco and learning about this prideful community. I can't wait to continue our project with them for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment